Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Sushi fun and more classes!

Last night was another milestone in my food experineces in Hong Kong. Shirley took me out for sushi and I had salmon sushi and a cucumber salad with these bright orange fish eggs. I really like the salad thing we got. I took pictures of what we ate just so I can prove what I ate. Then we had this amazing fruit dessert with all kinds of fruit. All I could identify was coconut, banana, papaya, watermelon, and lychee. Other than that I have no idea what I ate, but it was good. I find that if I don't let people tell me what I eat, I enjoy things more. I can't even begin to describe how good the food is here. Its just fantastic and insanly cheap.

Today my classes went well. I was the only exchange student in my Statistics class, and some of the other students didn't seem to be happy to see me. I guess its because they don't want to use English. My professor was messing with me a little too, because everytime he would ask a rhetorical question he would turn and zero in on me. I was given an intense stare down at least 3 times in that class alone today. My other class of the day was Film and Cinema Studies. Its going to be such a fun class. The professor is hilarious! I'm in the class with another exchange student, Jessica, and we were giggling through the whole class today. He asked us to raise our hands if we didn't speak Mandarin and when I did he just laughed at me and said "well, of course you don't" and laughed at me. (They speak Cantonese here, and some students also speak Mandarin, so they have to explain everything in 3 languages sometimes) So that was my embarassing moment for the day. Its was fun though.

Tonight I am going out to dinner with Megan, her roommater Jess, and Karen. I am trying to convince my roommate Terrance to come with us, because I never see her or get to spend time with her. She is a 3rd year student here and she is incredibly busy. Everyone seems to be busy during the New Year. Speaking of, I've been invited to 2 of the International Buddies houses for dinner and Shirley is also going to take me to her relative's house to see the fireworks! There are going to be so many awesome pictures to come, I assure you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sooooooo cooooool!
haha - wow, so how's it feel to be a minority?
And.. the all-important question... did you meet the hot asian crew boy from the catalogue? ^.~

Anonymous said...

BECCA!!!!!!!!!

I am so sorry I have taken so long to drop in here - suffice to say that my life's insanity has been at super level lately.

I guess the camera is working out well for you - over 400 pics in a couple of weeks????? You're going to have a minute-by-minute photo log at this rate.

Miss you --- send me your IM name and I'll throw myself into the 21st century.