Tuesday, January 24, 2006

First day of classes

My first day of classes is finally here! I only had one class which was Survey of Indian History. I was the first person there, and there turned out only to be about 10 people in my whole class. At first no one would sit next to me, and it hurt my feelings. Then Sunny, one of the Korean exchange students came in and sat next to me so I wasn't alone. It was a little surreal because I felt like none of the other students would really even look at me. The professor seemed happy to see me though. I guess he must be a little tired of teaching in Cantonese. The class seems to be pretty easy so far. That was my only class of the day so I got to goof off for the rest of the day. Once Megan was done with classes, her roommate Jess took us out downtown so that Megan could do some shopping and we also did some sight-seeing. We went down to Victoria Harbor, where the famous skyline is and watched the light show that they put on every night. We also met up with some of Jess' friends and I have some great pictures of us infront of the skyline. Later after the show, we all went to the Jade Garden restaurant for some Shanghai-style food. It was one of the best meals I've had in my whole life. I really liked the food there. One of the dishes was so spicy that my face stayed pink for about an hour after dinner. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love love love the food here. I really want to get some good recipies to take with me when I come home.

Today was my second day of class, and once again, I only had one class at 3pm so I definatly slept in. The class I had today was Cultural and Historical Writing. There are only 3 people, including me, in this class. I really hope that the University doesn't cancel it because not only do I need the requirements for my major, the class looks like a lot of fun. All my professor wants to do is watch a bunch of movies and talk about them. Tomorrow is going to be a bit busier because I have two classes, Statistics and Film/Cinema Studies. The classes here are pretty much the same as classes back home with an addition called tutorials. Tutorials are when you meet in small groups during the week to discuss and go over the material of the previous week. They are also manditory. 3 out of my 5 classes have tutorials, and after the Chinese New Year I will be a lot busier. Helen is coming to see me tonight, and then I am going to go pay a visit to Shirley, one of the exchange students who was at St. Mary's last semester. My roommate hasn't been back for about 3 days, but I think that its just because she is really busy with New Years.

Oh and something weird thats been happening- everywhere I go on campus people have been stopping and saying "Hi Becca" to me even though I have no idea who they are and how they know my name. Is there like a secret fan club for me on campus or something? Its both cool and weird at the same time. And since I've put my address up, I am hoping for lots of love to come in the mail. (Hint: I could really kill for hot chocolate and jelly beans) And I will also be sending out lots of love too, as soon as I find the post office.

No comments: