Sunday, February 05, 2006

Last of the New Years Adventures

Look! My life has become a 3-parter! Isn't it exciting? There is just so much to tell yet so little time to type it all. I'm a little hopeful that things will calm down now that New Years is over and classes will be starting back up tomorrow. All the Lingnan students should be coming back tonight or tomorrow. Its a little erie with no one here.

Monday was spent at Agnes' house with another large group of exchange students. I think that there were about 9 of us. We were scheduled to leave at 1pm, but I thought that it was a little later so when Megan called me at 12:45 I was a little surprised. I put on clothes and ran down as quick as I could to meet everyone. So I was a little ticked when I got down to the plaza there was no one there. I was 5 minutes lates, but the group had left without me. Now you have to understand that before we have waited for people who have been 25 minutes late, but they couldn't even wait 5 minutes for me. I was more than a little ticked. Luckily for me, Agnes came back and walked with me down to her neighborhood. She lives in this cute little complex of 3 story apartments aorund little courtyards. Most of her family lives in this neighborhood, so I think that its pretty nice. Her whole family is incredibly nice and really funny. 2 of her uncles spoke great English and were having a great time joking around with us. And at her uncle's house I got to play with their pet Chow Chow, whose name is Bae-bae, which means Teddy Bear in Cantonese. Agnes' cousin was having a great time bringing out all the family pets and passing them around. They had a dog, 2 cats, and a bird. We sat down to a huge meal with dumplings, and all sorts of other food that I can't name. Of course, it was delicious. I took a before and after photo so you can see what we did to this food. Everywhere we go we manage to eat everything, which is a big compliment to the cook. I loved the fried rice cake/pudding thing, espcially the red one. I don't know whats in it, and I don't care. Its just yummy. So after all the exchange students manage to eat everything, we were taken around the complex to all the relative's house. One of Agnes' cousins played a great Mozart peice on the piano for us and then Julie and Sean played Hear'n'Soul for them. As we went from house to house, we got lai see pockets from all the married relatives and Agnes' grandmother. Her grandmother is really cute too, and apparently the best mah jonng player in the family. So of course we brought out the mah jonng sets. We had 3 tables going. This game is really addictive. We played for about 4 hours straight, just sitting in the courtyard with Agnes and her family. None of us are really very good when compared to her family though. I was very glad that we weren't playing for money. We then got another huge spread for dinner. Now I wish I had gotten a picture of that too. I feel like I eat so much more here, but I have to, its soooooooooooooooo good. I'm going to start collecting recipes so I can cook this stuff when I go home. At the end of the meal, Agnes' dad brought out his traditional tea set and made use all some really fancy tea. I've only had it once before with Jason, and its wonderful. I'm not sure what the name is but I think that it tastes a little bit like honeysuckle flowers. Agnes told me that they only have this kind of tea on big family occasions like New Years. And boy was it good. I might have to get some of that tea before I leave. Her family is really nice, as all the families have been. I was sitting next to her grandmother, and she and I just smiled at each other because we couldn't understand each other. At one point she said something to me, but I have no idea what it was. But she looked happy so I'm guessing that it was something good. We were at Agnes' place until about 9pm that night. Agnes and her uncle walked us back to school to make sure that we got home ok, and then we all went to sleep.

That was my last family dinner and I'm a little sad that its over. It was really nice to be in a family environment with home-cooked food. It was a really nice change of pace, and I really felt like I was meeting more people this way, and having more of the experiences I wanted to have. Shirley told me that I could always come back to her house on the weekends and I am sure that I will take her up on that offer. I don't want to spend all my time with the exchange students. I really enjoyed spending time with the locals and I have been making friends with them too. My roommate Terrance really wants to take me out and show me a good time, so there is that to look forward to. Helen is another local girl that I have made friends with and she is super sweet. We are planning on going shopping together sometime this week. And I have also found another girl who loves Bollywood films as much as I do, so we are going to watch them together.


After New Years, my week has slowed down a little. I have mostly spent my time exploring Tuen Mun and the area around school. I took some photos around Lingnan so everyone can get a glimpse of what it looks like. This campus is really beautiful and expansive for such the small space that they have. Our gym was built with money donated by Jackie Chan and is named after him. I got a great picture of one of the cats we have running around sleeping in a basket of a bicycle. We also went to an art exhibit at the University of Hong Kong on the snuff bottles of the later dynasties of China. I couldn't take any pictures though. There was also a really cool modern art disply that you had to lay down on the floor for, and it was incredible. We had to hike up this huge hill in Central and by the time we reached the top we were all sweating and panting. It was an amazing view though. Megan hiked all the way up in heels. What a trooper! Other than that I have managed to get some homework done, finished knitting my roommate a scarf, lost my phone, and then got my phone back.

Oh, I almost forgot the Dragon and Lion Dances! Just for New Years they have these part-dance, part-martial arts teams who are usually hired by businesses and large corporations to come and perform. It is suppose to show the wealth of the business and also bring good luck in the coming year. The lions consist of 2-men teams, with a strong powerful guy in the back, and a tiny energetic guy in the front. The jump from pole to pole with the front guy being lifted up on the other guys shoulder, or just in the air. Its really incredible to see. The dragon consists of a huge line of guys as the body and they chase around a ball that is suppose to be symbolic of lettuce. (Because dragons like lettuce? I have no idea) We got to see 2 teams in one day, it was fantastic. After the show, the lions and drummers go to each store, and "eat" the lettuce that is hanging from the ceiling. They run around the store, and then spit out the lettuce while keeping the lai see packet inside. I think that it is suppose to spread good luck around the business for the coming year or something like that. One of the guys we knew from Lingnan was a part of one of the teams so we got to take a photo with him. And when we left we all waved a big goodbye to him. He is going to look like a big man now to all of his friends because a crowd of Western girls waved to him ;)


That is everything up to date now. Classes resume tomorrow and my roommate comes back. Currently I'm watching Dr. Zhivago in Cantonese with English subtitles, which throws things off a little. They call it "Till the End of the Time: Dr. Zhivago" Weird.

Updated List of Places I've Been:
  • Mongkok
  • Temple Street Night Market
  • Tin Shui Wai
  • Harbor City
  • Tsim Sha Tsui
  • Heng Fa Chuen
  • Lantau Island
  • Sham Shui Po
  • Central
  • Wan Chai
  • Hong Kong Uni.
  • Kowloon

Oh, and answers to Wende's questions:

There are mailboxes in the hostels, so thats where I get me letters as soon as people send them to me.

I have to get my packages from the Wong Building which is right around the corner

My MSN screen name is badpixy@hotmail.com, for all those who don't have it, and my AIM screen name is badpixy798.

I have a cell phone, but don't call it unless you really want to because it will cost a fortune. IM me and I'll give it to you just because I don't want my phone number on the internet.

I miss everyone so much and I'm sending you all big hugs!

No comments: