Sunday, March 08, 2009

Foggy Weather is Here Again

The weather these past few days has been suspiciously like what I imagine London to be, or at least a Sherlock Holmes novel; wet, dark, cold, and a fog so thick that you can hardly see through. Its the type of weather that makes you want to put on your pajamas, get a mug of hot coco, wrap yourself up in a blanket and watch movies all day. Now, if you substitute the hot coco for coffee, and movies for marking journals, you've got my Sunday. I've really just avoided going outside as much as possible, since the weather has been so miserable and unwelcoming. Serves me right for bragging to everyone else about having warm weather whilst they were stuck in snow. Hopefully the fog and rain and wind will move on this week and we can get the pleasantness back that is spring in Hong Kong. Spring here is the most perfect weather that I have seen, blue skies and warm air before you hit Hong Kong summer, when it gets so hot and humid that you feel like you are melting as soon as you step outside.

Journals can be just as unpredictable as Hong Kong weather, in the sense that you almost never know what you are going to get, even when you think you've got things down. Now, don't get me wrong, I love my students, but sometimes when you have to read the same paragraph 6 times in a row, to try to understand what they are communicating, it can be a bit tedious. On the other hand, they quite often suprise me with how insightful they can be, or unknowingly wise. They find a moral lesson in unsual places, and never cease to entertain me with their ever-changing grammatical collages that they use to convey a complex idea or thought. Seeing what they come up with makes you think twice about how languages can be so descriptive, and at the same time, so restrictive to the thought process. What I take from this is that you never cease to be a student or a teacher, no matter your position in the classroom.

If you want to see some of our student's more creative and artistic work first-hand, one of our classes, Painting and Poetry, now has their own blog where students in the class post their assignments and creative pieces from the class. I will also link the site in my blog log so you can keep up with them if you are so interested. It shows how creative our students can be, and I am very proud of all of them for what they have contributed to the creative universe. Enjoy!

No comments: